Master’s Degree of Art Director in Video Game Design
Certified level 7 by the French National Directory of Professional Certifications (RNCP)
Today's video game industry is essentially made up of rather modest production studios which develop their own video games. Developing your own video game is paramount to convince investors or the French Video Game Fund (FAJV) to release future funding. It is also the opportunity to showcase to the game publishers and the studios your skills and ability to oversee a project.
The objectives of the program are:
- To design and develop a video game.
- To acquire the related know-hows required for your future career.
- To have the opportunity to experience the reality of the after-publishing industry.
- And most of all, to get a first experience as a student to develop, publish, and market a video game.
Pascal LUBAN, Game Designer and Creative Director (Ubisoft, Activision, Sony, DICE) is in charge of reviewing and validating the program's syllabus.
Possible status, pace: You can apply to this Master's Degree as a graduate student, as part of your continuous education or with a work-study program (apprenticeships or vocational training schemes). Indicative pace: one week spent in school for every two weeks spent working in a company. 1120 hours of training. This program is APEL compatible.
Duration of the course: Two years
Career Prospects: After graduating, your multidisciplinary skill set will be an asset to join a development studio and to work efficiently as part of a team.
As an Art Director, you will be able to take charge of the whole project, from the analysis of the client's needs, to the execution and the implementation of the working plan. You are accountable for the compliance and quality of the product. The art director in video game design's role is of a strategic, organisational and managerial nature. Depending on the organisation where you will be working, you will be in charge of all or parts of the following areas of work:
- Analysing a client's request and defining strategic recommandations
- Drawing up a proposal
- Designing and executing the project
- Managing a team
- Competitve intelligence, monitoring the market and the latest artistic and technological trends.
- Financial management of the project
Depending on your specialisation, you could also take part to the following activities: 3D character and set designs, character animation, game design, data integration/scripting into the game's real-time engine, etc.